You are over your friend’s house in California when you trip or slip and fall while walking down the deck steps. You do not have health insurance, but your friend has homeowner’s insurance, which covers such incidents.

Rather than allow your friend to tackle this task alone, The Nest offers tips to help homeowners with injured visitors. While aimed at property owners, the insights can help you give your friend a helping hand to take care of your medical bills and other related expenses.

Get medical help

Even if you feel fine after your accident, it is in your best interest to have a medical professional examine you to double-check that everything is as good as it seems. That way, you both know beyond a shadow of a doubt whether you are okay and if any other actions are necessary.

Liability insurance

Say that your slip or trip does result in an injury. If your friend has liability coverage as part of her or his homeowner’s policy, it may be sufficient to cover the full extent of your injuries. If the liability policy is not enough, any health insurance you have may be enough to take care of the remainder of the cost. What if you do not have health insurance? Ask your friend if she or he has an umbrella policy added to the regular homeowner coverage.

Special requirements

If your fall happened around the pool, your friend’s homeowner policy may come with special requirements. For instance, it could be that the pool requires alarms and protective barriers around it before the insurance provider honors a claim.

This information is only intended to educate and should not be interpreted as legal advice.